Saturday, June 13, 2009

1 Reflections, baseballs, whifbee, WORKKKKK

So, as I said in my first post, I wanted to write down my thoughts and close out all the reflecting I've done in the past 2 months. But I also wanted to share where I'm at, and what I'm looking forward to.

I guess reflections for me started before the thesis was done, and around the time of APO banquet. I had only attended one, and through what I witnessed and experienced, I held it in my mind as a time of reflection, open thoughts (even though that forum should always exist...), and respect for those who have paid their dues (both literally and figuratively). Coming into it, I had no clue what to say to those I'd be leaving, and frankly didn't feel I had anything wise to share that had not been shared before. After getting there of course, and while playing LOOFA bingo (thanks Mark) I learned how I had felt about my college experiences, and how they shaped the person I am today. I came into college a shy introverted person, not proud of who he was, and left with what I was missing before college. I found confidence, BSG, cooking skillz that killz, myself, my strength, and most importantly I found those that I could never see life without, those who complete my crazy wacked out family. As JD said in the video I posted previously, "It's all about the people that you let into your life."

Which pretty much leads into the immense feelings of pride I realized I had for not just those I surround myself with, but with myself. Thesis. Done. Finally. That is what I felt when I turned it in, although I admit that sadly I didn't have a rush of pride, excitement, or anything of that nature after initially turning it in. I don't know if it was sleep deprivation, effing 436, or a comment about my thesis that I'd rather forget that caused that. However, after a phone conversation to let one of my APO littles know I had turned it in had that feeling of pride started to well up and really start to sink in. With that thesis done, I was effectively done with what was frankly 4 years of scholastic hell.

Which all of this led to a beach week (which at some points were rather overwhelming with the degree of craziness...I kinda wanted to creep back into my cave) that despite some craziness I loved and enjoyed. Being able to spend that time with 2 of my closest friends throughout college, my group of ridiculous but amazing service-doers, and the friends and littles that defined my fun part of fourth year was totally worth it, and a good way to wrap up the college experience. And I will never forget the amazing hell that is polish/APP poker.

Graduation happened, it was a whirlwind, got a HUGE piece of paper, sat through a boring speech, took some pictures, ate some food, and finally took a deep breath of relief. I feel like everything above kinda summarizes the graduation feeling.

After graduating, I had to get my own car, which, I DID! I got a blue, Honda Insight Hybrid, and I love it. Its not the raptor of CMelt's that I saw at beach week, but the best name that I have for it right now is Bumblebee (thanks lil). Yay car.

Although related to the car, for those who have yet to encounter it, real life is swarmed with disgusting paperwork. And I have a dreadful feeling it will not go away.

So right now my quality of writing is decreasing, along with my inspiration, so I'll continue with these thoughts later.

1 comment:

  1. eeee! So glad I get to read your thoughts periodically. And I'll confirm what you said: the TR who graduated was not the TR I met when you rushed. You have much to be proud of. Miss you!

    ps- bumblebee??

    ReplyDelete