Sunday, February 27, 2011

0 Gluten Free Product Review: Pasta Noodles

One of my friends suggested I start reviewing gluten free products on my blog, so I decided to take their advice. The first food I want to review and give recommendations on is noodles. For someone who is new to a gluten free diet, giving up pasta can be one of the hardest challenges out there.


So, here are a variety of pasta brands that I have tried, along with my recommendations and tips:

DeBoles Rice Pasta

Ease of Cooking: Simple and quick. After boiling water, you cook the pasta between 5 and 10 minutes, depending upon the type of pasta. The other awesome part is that this pasta can be cooked on the higher end of the suggested cooking time without running a risk of turning mushy. Rating: A

Taste: Overall good, but different from wheat pasta. Does not add any odd taste when combined with sauces. Rating: B


Texture: To me, this is the disappointing part of this noodle brand. The noodles do a very good job at not turning mushy, but has a grainy texture that comes with some rice flours. This makes this type of noodle distinct from traditional wheat noodles, but not in the best way. Rating: C


Tinkyada Pasta


Ease of Cooking: Fairly easy, with two different options of cooking.

  1. Traditional method: Boil water and then add the noodles, boiling for 10-15 minutes. 
  2. Recommended method: Boil water, add the noodles for 1-2 minutes, and then cover and remove from heat for 20 minutes. 
Regardless of the method, I recommend stirring once or twice to minimize sticking. Rating: B

Taste: These are the best tasting wheat noodle substitute that I've had. They taste similar enough to wheat noodles to trick wheat-eaters, yet have subtle enough of a difference. Rating: B+

Texture: Best texture of rice noodles that I've ever had. With a minor rinse, they don't have a slimy texture, but don't feel like they're made of rice flour at all. Rating: A

Overall

DeBoles Pasta: Extremely easy to make, hard to overcook, great taste, but the texture is too grainy to trick you into thinking you're eating wheat pasta. Overall Rating: B

Tinkyada Pasta: Has two options for how to cook, both are relatively easy. Has an awesome taste and texture that gives traditional pasta a run for its money. Overall Rating: A

Overall, if you can find Tinkyada in your grocery store, I completely recommend it. If not, DeBoles Pasta comes in a close second. I hope this article comes helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment